November 9, 2013
Burglary Deterrent Tips For The Festive Period
We spend the weeks leading up to Christmas buying gifts for family and friends, effectively stocking our houses with the latest gadgets, electrical items, jewellery and clothes. Don’t forget this provides thieves with the perfect incentive to commit burglary. We want you to enjoy the festive season and not give thieves the opportunity to spoil the fun this year.
Below are our top burglary deterrent tips for your home over the festive period.
- Deterrents: Make your home appear occupied at all times. Keep lights and radios on timers, make it look like your house is occupied. Keep valuables out of sight. If you have an intruder alarm- make sure you set it. Most importantly keep windows and doors locked, remember, with UPVC or composite doors it’s not enough to just lift the handle, remember to secure it with the key.
- Christmas Decorations and lights: Putting outside decorations and lights is part of the festivity but don’t do it at the risk of making your home insecure. Don’t feed cables through windows leaving them open. Use solar / battery operated lights or install outdoor electrical sockets.
- Gift Packaging: Don’t forget that refuse collections over the Christmas period can be delayed or cancelled due to bad weather. Don’t leave the packaging of expensive gifts outside your home. Don’t advertise your gifts to thieves.
- Social Media: Christmas is a time to visit family and friends, don’t advertise when your home is empty over the Christmas Period.
- Buying Christmas Presents online this year?: Don’t leave special delivery instructions on your front door. Don’t advertise that you are out of your home.
If you need any help or advice on securing your home please call us on 01908 483233.
Locked and Secure Ltd covers:
Milton Keynes | Buckinghamshire | Northamptonshire | Bedfordshire | Hertfordshire | Peterborough | Boston | Spalding | Sleaford | Grantham