May 1, 2014
Home Security Tips
We believe Crime Prevention is as much about Habits and Routines as it is about Alarms and CCTV!
Here are some tips to help you…
- DOORS AND WINDOWS: It sounds obvious but make sure you lock ALL your doors and windows when you leave the house.
- If you have a UPVC door with multipoint locking, make sure you double lock it. Simply lifting the handle does NOT securely lock your door.
- Keep side and back gates locked as well as garage doors.
- VALUABLES: Register your valuables and electrical items with www.immobilise.com. It’s free and takes just a few minutes. If your valuables are stolen it will allow you to tell the police, your insurer, and the second-hand trade to assist in recovering your property and catch the thief. You can even upload photographs to help with identification.
- DOCUMENTS: Keep personal documents in a safe place – birth certificate, marriage certificates and passports. Identify theft is an increasing problem following burglaries. Some offenders target properties solely for this purpose.
- KEYS: Keep car keys out of sight, take them to bed at night or place in a safe. Never leave a key in the back of a door especially if they are in reach of a cat flap or letter box.
- Don’t give them the key, keep keys locked out of the way, not hidden under plant pots or on top of door frames!
- BOUNDARIES: Where possible, keep front boundaries LOW so your neighbours can keep an eye out for unusual activity.
- Keep rear boundaries HIGH and make them difficult to climb.
- INSURANCE: Before upgrading your security always talk to your insurance company. They will give you advice on minimum requirements and any discounts you may qualify for as a result- always read the small print
- NEW PURCHASES: Bought something new? Don’t leave the packaging of high value items outside your property to advertise your new purchase!
- Don’t temp thieves- hide valuables and electrical equipment away.
- Keep tools and garden equipment locked away securely
- ALARMS: Don’t just install an alarm, use it! Make sure you set the system when you leave your property and use part set options when you are in the property or at night.
GONE OUT: Use timer switches to put lights or radios on giving the impression your home is not empty.
- INTERNET: Don’t promote on social media sites when you are away from your property, you never know who is reading.
Need any more help or advice? … Give us a call: 01908 483233
For more tips and advice you can also find us on Facebook:
or Follow us on Twitter:
Locked and Secure Ltd covers:
Milton Keynes | Buckinghamshire | Northamptonshire | Bedfordshire | Hertfordshire | Peterborough | Boston | Spalding | Sleaford | Grantham